Thursday, August 06, 2015

Mashups, Daydream Believers, The Monkees and Avicii. When readers live life to the full.





Daydream Believer by the Monkees
Now this is for us readers.  For, I believe if you are a Daydream Believer then you are also a Homecoming queen.

Here is the lyrics, not all, some.

"Daydream Believer" is track #65 on the album Music Box. It was written by Stewart, John C.

Performed by the Monkees

 

Cheer up, sleepy Jean, oh what can it mean
To a daydream believer and a homecoming queen?

You once thought of me as a white knight on his steed
Now you know how happy I can be
Oh, and our good times start and end without dollar one to spend
But how much baby do we really need?

Cheer up, sleepy Jean, oh what can it mean
To a daydream believer and a homecoming queen?
Have a listen


Now read the following that I got from Wiki.

Producer Chip Douglas was friends with John Stewart and ran into him at a party in Hollywood. Douglas told Stewart that he was now producing the Monkees and asked if he had any songs that might work for the group. Stewart offered "Daydream Believer" (which had already been turned down by the We Five and Spanky and Our Gang). When Douglas heard the song he knew it could be a hit, but, according to Stewart, RCA Records (Colgems Records distributor) had a problem with the word, "funky" (the original lyric in the second stanza was: "You once thought of me as a white knight on a steed, Now you know how funky I can be"). RCA wanted to change the word to "happy" and Douglas asked Stewart if he could live with that. At first Stewart refused because the change made no sense in the context of the song, but realizing he might have a hit song on his hands, he relented.

So.  On the 8th April 2015 I found myself in 7th Heaven.  I was lying on my bed.  A dog to my right another one on my left sleeping like a dog.  Them, not me.  And I had my trusted old Kindle in hand.  Reading.

My cellular phone rang and I grudgingly picked it up and saw it was a call from my favourite brother.  So I hit answer and after the Hellos’ how-do-you-dos were said he asked...”So whacha doing?” Reading” came my immediate response.  This was followed by “What, the night before your birthday, instead on being out and saying bye-bye to the previous year you’r all alone reading?” The utter flabbergasted expression in his voice was clear and in my eye I could see his expression if this convo took place face to face.  I would first see that head cock to the left.  We all cock our heads to the left when we are faced with an idea or situation so far outside our norm that we feel looking at said person with the outlandish idea or situation at a slant will give us the insight we need.  That would be followed by the David Caruso aka the CSI guy with the sunglasses, look, you know this one...
 

And this, basically universally is a slap in the face.  There is nothing sexy in this look, it is at best patronizing.  This expression conveys mistrust and a judgement to your mental health that is so far below negative it cannot even be found in the DSM V. 

The reason for this is that if you are not a reader, if you do not have the ability to see the story play out in front of your mind’s eye, smell the gasoline on tar mixed with sunlight and jasmine, hear the gear shift of an 18 wheeler and the brakes of a Ford, feel the soft breeze with the hint of moisture on your skin, well then you don’t.  You simply do not.  Nothing anybody says or does can give you this ability. 

And people who does not, won’t get why I am including the next titbit.

Now this is what Google found for Funky. 

funky means bad smelling an unpleasant smell.(ex.This house smells funky.)
Funky is not a word that would have a concrete or denotative meaning. This is because funky by its very nature is subjective. The best one can do is try to explain funky. Originally it was meant to convey an originality or popular faddishness. Such as when someone describes a fashion designer's clothes or a new restaurant. When it comes to music funky is mostly associated with the blues. The blues is a largely African American invention and any particular song or music can be referred to as funky, which means it is both good and unique. Finally, funky can refer to eccentric, vulgar, atypical Or outlandish behavior, music, clothes, literature, well, pretty much anything. Funk is a style of music and yes, most of it is funky.

Now as a writer, the exact meaning or connotation of a word pales next to the denotative meaning of a word, and if, as a writer you do not get this, I must say you are on par with me and we should rather not give up our day jobs.  I have tons to learn and if you as a writer thinks the word you picked to describe something specific is fine as long as you pick a synonym then... ahm...join me.  We need to hit those books.  Oh but do take heart.  See how many groups passed up on Daydream Believer?

But that is not the point here.  The point is as a reader, we know words.  We know why this author at first refused to change funky to happy, as human beings with bills to pay we get why he caved and let them change funky to happy even though it makes no sense whatsoever.

So this is a mush up because non readers always tells me I am not living my life, I am reading it past.  That my dear non reader, is not true.  Time management is the one thing us readers learn to the point of it being a marketable skill from the day we pick up our first book that turns us from an occasional reader into an obsessive.

Now for the next song

Avicii

“Wake me Up”

They tell me I'm too young to understand
They say I'm caught up in a dream
Well life will pass me by if I don't open up my eyes
Well that's fine by me

Wish that I could stay forever this young
Not afraid to close my eyes
Life's a game made for everyone
And love is the prize

[2x]
So wake me up when it's all over
When I'm wiser and I'm older
All this time I was finding myself
And I didn't know I was lost

Have a listen


Read that again.  They say I am caught up in a dream (daydream believer). Well life will pass me by if I don’t open up my eyes.  Well that’s fine by me.  A reader is never afraid to close their eyes.  And if you wake me up when it’s all over, when I’m wiser and I’m older I won’t be lost.  I would have lived deeply.  Loved intensely.  Grasped concepts you cannot even imagine and go on and find more lives, more loves.  More new ideas.  New concepts to challenge those beliefs I harboured against my chest as if it were armour and as it turns out is little better than a nylon T. 

And that my friends is why we are all daydream believers.  Because we know when we wake up we went under as wiser and older.  Those nights we spend losing sleep to read one more chapter because leaving our main protagonist on a cliff with the monster masquerading as her one true love behind her dragging a corpse is unthinkable.  That means we are lost.  We cannot leave people in such a state.  We need to read them to higher ground.  To safe meadows.  To piece. 

So the next time a non reader accuses you of not living your life. 


Play them this mashup and hope that at one stage or another DJ Schmolli (If you happen to be unfamiliar with this genius of a man here is a link.... https://www.mixcloud.com/djschmolli/  or ilk will make a mashup from The Monkees and Avicci. It is him in the pic above...

 
And this is what is keeping me up at night


So, tell me.  Do you want to wake up and live one life? Or be a Daydream Believer and live thousands?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment