Saturday, May 09, 2015

Book Review of Escape, Dead End (Escape Series #3) by David J. Antocci


Book Title: Escape, Dead End
Genre: Crime Thriller/Suspense
Pages: 214
Author: David J. Antocci
Date Published: 13 February 2015

Synopsis:

Strap in and get ready for the thrilling conclusion to the ESCAPE series, as Abby declares war on her enemies in the fast-paced take no prisoners story that is ESCAPE, Dead End.

Nearly a year after the love of her life was murdered in front of her eyes, Abby sets out on a path of revenge and will not rest until the man responsible pays for his crimes. After being shot and having her leg broken at the hands of this madman, Abby has spent every ounce of her strength on recovery, though revenge has never strayed from her mind. Afforded the best rehab money could buy, combined with her mission to become the most formidable one-woman army anyone could reckon with, Abby is ready to exact her revenge. Though, she is a loaded gun without a target as Bryce had fallen off the map and remains protected by the mob. When Ava goes missing, Abby knows there is only one person who could be responsible. She takes the fight to the enemy’s doorstep and will tear down anyone who gets in her way.

Reunited with an ally from her past, Abby sets her sights down a road with no exit. There is no other path. She will slay the man who has tortured her life for the past decade, or die trying.

Review:


Dead End (Escape #3)Dead End by David J. Antocci
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is the third and last book in the Escape series. I absolutely loved it!

Abby is a fantastic character. I really liked her when I was first introduced to her in Escape, A New Life. She is a survivor of a grueling TV based competition that saw her fighting for her life on an island in the first book. I have been impressed at how this character has grown over this series. She is most definitely someone I would be afraid of. She is tough, determined and one kick-ass (pardon the term, but it's the only one that fit) woman, who also happens to be very dangerous when cornered.

When I heard that this book was being released, I became rather excited! I loved the first two books and couldn't wait to read this one. The story continues on from the end of the second book, although it is now based nearly a year after the event of that massive twist that left me in shock. This story is again told through various points of view, which I loved. This time, we also get Ava's point of view and I realised that she definitely is her mother's daughter. She's just as spunky and determined as her mother and she'll be another dangerous female when she gets older; watch out boys!
Abby also meets an old friend called Donny, who helped her escape from Bryce in the beginning. I really liked Donny. He has done some terrible things in his past and was trapped due to family ties to the mob, but he is not evil.

I am, in general, not keen on revenge type books, because that's not how I believe justice should be served. But, when you have characters like Bryce, who is a sick, twisted piece of work, I suppose the only way to deal with them is to fight fire with fire. He is as slippery as an eel and very difficult to pin criminal charges on, as he's been in a mob family and learnt all the tricks of the trade. He made my skin crawl from the first time I met him and subsequent meetings just reinforced this. He has no conscientiousness and is a psychopath in my opinion. I don't know if it's the old nature versus nature question, but all I know he's evil!

The story is a fast paced ride from beginning to end and I loved the wild roller coaster ride it took me on. This story had me on a roller coaster of emotion: happiness, anxiety, anger, sadness and a few other mixed emotions. The ending was a little anti-climatic after all the action (including gunfights, explosions and other dangerous situations), but it finished off the story nicely and I am now looking forward to reading more books by this author as soon as possible.

David Antocci has written an exciting conclusion to his debut series.The characters are very lifelike and the descriptions of the situations and scenes are vivid and easily pictured in the mind's eye. I would love to see this as a either a TV serial or mini series or even on the big screen. This author is definitely one to watch! I love his writing style which is fast paced and extremely fluid. I have added him to my favourite authors list!

I highly recommend this book if you love thrillers, suspense and/or dystopian fiction or are fans of books similar to The Hunger Games Trilogy. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


           

No comments:

Post a Comment