Monday, February 02, 2015

Audio/Book Review of See No Evil, My Pretty Lady by Miss Mae



Book Title: See No Evil, My Pretty Lady
Genre: Mystery/Suspense
Pages: 164
Audio Run Time: 4 Hrs 34 Mins
Author: Miss Mae
Date Published: April 2010 (E-Book)
26 September 2014 (Audio Book)

Synopsis:

New maid Dorcy Edwards flees the scene of where her employer's body is found. His murder sparks a chain of macabre events. Cloistered on a remote island with five strangers, including Gareth Davenport, her late employer's brooding, but darkly handsome heir, Dorcy encounters baffling questions with what she fears may be terrifying answers. Who cut the telegraph lines? Who left a mutilated animal carcass outside her bedroom door? What is the reason for Gareth's black gloves and eye patch? Can he be "Jack the Ripper", the madman suspected to be Mr. Davenport's killer? Dorcy must solve the mystery, and soon, or her growing attraction for Gareth could be her very death sentence. Winner of Top Ten Read of 2008 from http://MyShelf.com/

Review:


See No Evil My Pretty LadySee No Evil My Pretty Lady by Miss Mae
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I am a fan of Miss Mae's work after listening to Ahoy Gum Drop on audio book. When I found out that she had a who-dun-it also on audio, I was intrigued and downloaded a copy. I am glad I did, because I LOVED it!

The story is narrated by Marcus Hyde. He did an impressive job in bringing this story and characters to life. His speaking voice was clear and concise and his interpretation of the characters mannerisms and affectations came across strongly. His villain's voice sent shiver's down my spine! I don't think I would like to meet that character in a dark alley!

Dorcy Edwards is a wonderful character. I liked her very much She is a young lady who has only recently been employed as a kitchen maid to Mr. Davenport. After finding him murdered, she flees the house and finds herself thrown into a maelstrom of mystery, suspense and danger. Oh, and a hint of romance!

This is a relatively short story, lasting only four hours and thirty-four minutes, but there is a lot happening in that time! It is packed with suspense, mystery and danger, with the glimmer of a chance at romance for the main character. This story is set in London, during the time of Jack The Ripper in 1888. The story is told from the point of view of Dorcy Edwards. There are several interesting characters in this intriguing tale. Mr. & Mrs. Butterfield, the couple who sponsored Dorcy when she first arrived in London. Mr. Garath Davenport - the son of the murdered man - who makes Dorcy's heart flutter, but he has secrets of his own. Can she trust him? And Alice, another maid from Mr. Davenport's house.
This is an excellent who-dun-it. The plot is wonderfully described in such detail. I could picture the scenes with clarity. I loved the way the story unfolded. The story is full of twists and turns, with red herrings aplenty. Suspicion and fear makes Dorcy unsure who to trust, which makes the reader feel the same way. I had no clue as who attacked Dorcy for quite a while, but I took an educated guess before the culprit was finally identified. I am glad that my deductive reasoning proved correct; I would have been completely shocked if I had guessed wrongly. But, the author certainly knows how to keep the suspense and mystery going! I reached the end of the book and felt sad that it wasn't just a little bit longer. However, it only made me want to read more of this author's books in future.

Miss Mae has written a wonderful mystery. I love her writing style, which is fast paced and exciting, and the flow is wonderful. I am a huge fan of mystery novels, and one of my favourite authors in this genre is Agatha Christie. However, Miss Mae is an author that I will be keeping an eye on in the future.

I highly recommend this book to young readers who love mystery and suspense, and to adults who love a classic who-dun-it and are looking for a quick, but highly entertaining read. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


           

No comments:

Post a Comment