Sunday, August 31, 2014

Book Review of Waking the Phoenix (Mythrian Realm Series Book 2) by Lindsay Avalon



Book Title: Waking The Phoenix (Mythrian Realm Series Book 2)
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Pages: 172
Author: Lindsay Avalon
Date Published: 27 August 2014

Synopsis:

As two Realms collide, the world descends into chaos.

From the moment Sha Phoenix dropped into the middle of Detective Connor Flynn’s murder scene, he had known his life would never be the same. Following her claim to be a Sorceri from the Mythrian Realm, he had received a crash course in the impossible as they had struggled to stop a madman. Unfortunately, despite their efforts to stop the Nexus, a magical barrier separating the Mythrian and Human Realms, fractured. Magic and myth are spilling over into the Human Realm, plunging everything into turmoil.

Is their love strong enough to survive the flames of the phoenix?

When Sha vanished through a portal in the middle of battle, Connor did not hesitate to follow the woman he had claimed as his. Now in the Mythrian Realm, they join forces with the Sentinels, the guardians of the Realms, to protect the world they love. Will they be able to contain the evil taking control? Or will they perish in the flames of war?

This is a continuation of Connor and Sha's story. Book 1, Breaking the Nexus, should be read first. Look for the third book coming this winter!

Review:


Waking the Phoenix (Mythrian Realm #2)Waking the Phoenix by Lindsay Avalon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is the second book in the Mythrian Realm Series. I loved it!

Sha Phoenix is a wonderful character. I love her wit and humour! She is a part Aquarum (water magic) and part Infernum (fire magic) Sorceri. This makes her a formidable protector of the Nexus; the gateway between her world and the human one.

Connor Flynn is a fantastic character. He is a cop, who is strong, handsome and honourable. It also helps that he is very charismatic. I love his protective streak! (As an aside: I wouldn't mind being arrested by this cop!).

I have been eager to read this story for a long time; ever since the first book had been released in 2012. As soon as I found out that this book had been released, I downloaded a copy and started reading. It was well worth the wait!

This story continues from the cliffhanger at the end of the first book, and sees Sha and Connor returning through the Nexus to Mythria.

This story is not only told through Sha and Connor's point of view, but through the eyes of Ian Kendrick, Connor's police partner. I loved this alternative point of view, as it gave the reader a chance to see what was happening on both sides of the Nexus. It was also nice to meet Saia, Achaius and Luca again. We are also introduced to Alec, a teenager who is more than he seems. Though he is still an enigma, I found myself liking this mouthy teen. Alec is a bit impertinent at times, but he seems to have a good heart; I look forward to find out what his story is in time. I did feel sorry for him at times, but giggled at the adults' - especially Achaius and Aries - method of discipline.
Maestro is still causing havoc through his magic and he is as evil as ever. But I'm not sure if he's the master, or a puppet for someone else.

There is plenty of danger and intrigue, which kept me hooked from the first page. There are also several twists and turns in this story that kept me on the edge of my seat. The author's descriptions of the scenes and the characters brought the story to life. I could picture everything quite clearly. This story took me on a roller coaster ride of adventure, danger and emotion.The ending finished on totally shocking cliffhanger, and now I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series as soon as possible.

Lindsay Avalon has written an amazing paranormal romance. I love her fast paced writing style, and the story flows beautifully. Her characters are extremely likable (except for Maestro) and come alive on the page.

Due to scenes of a sexual nature that are on the explicit side, as well as some bad language and violence, I do not recommend this book for younger readers. However, I highly recommend this book if you love YA (17+), paranormal romance or fantasy. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


           

No comments:

Post a Comment