Monday, April 21, 2014

Book Review of The Riddle of Prague (QuickSilver Legacy Series #1) by Laura DeBruce


Synopsis:

What would you risk to save someone you love? What price would you pay to live for centuries?

When 18-year-old Hana Silna travels to Prague, she discovers a riddle that may lead to a long-lost flask. The contents of that flask could change the fate of the world. When a ruthless enemy kidnaps her family, Hana has to find the flask to rescue them. On her quest she meets a mysterious man with a penchant for poetry, a Gypsy girl with a haunting past, and an all-American boy who's trying to save his sister from a crippling disease.

It's hard to trust anyone when the stakes are this high -- especially when surrounded by experts at deception. There's only one flask, and Hana desperately needs to find it.


Review:


The Riddle of Prague (The QuickSilver Legacy Series) (Volume 1)The Riddle of Prague (The QuickSilver Legacy Series) by Laura DeBruce
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was recommended this book by a friend and, as I love YA Thriller/Mystery/Adventure books, I thought I would give it a go. I absolutely LOVED it!

First off, I would like to say that the cover is absolutely fantastic, and captures the essence of the story quite well. This would look good on my bookshelf in print!

Hana Silna is a character I really liked. She is quite brave and determined and, although the angst is kept to a minimum, she is a typical teen. She has been sent by her mother to Prague to claim her family's house back from the Czech government.

This is a fantastic story, full of action, danger and mystery. I was completely hooked from the first page! Hana meets some very interesting characters during her visit. Some are friendly, but some are decidedly frightening and deadly. I loved meeting Simona, Michal, Alex and Thalia, as well as a few other characters. There is a really creepy bad guy that sent shivers up my back. His name is Julian - he's one scary dude! The story is told mostly from Hana's point of view, but there is a point of view from another character called The Nomad. This mysterious character is extremely dangerous. I must admit that I had a suspicion as to who the person was, but it wasn't until later in the story that I found out for sure. I loved the hint of romance between Hana and Alex; they make a cute couple. There are some amazing twists in this story that I never saw coming, and I had a jaw dropping moment when an identity of a character was revealed. Prague was described in such a way that I felt like I was there, and made me want to visit the city for real. The end of the book finishes on a slight cliffhanger, and now I can't wait to find out what happens next!

Laura DeBruce has written a fantastic debut YA Thriller that is a fast paced roller coaster ride of danger and adventure. I loved her writing style, which flowed wonderfully, and I will be following this author's work with interest.

I highly recommend this book to both older teenage boys and girls (15+) and adults who love YA, Thriller, Suspense or Mystery genres. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


                      

No comments:

Post a Comment