Sunday, July 28, 2013

Book Review of Blind Veil by Michael Lorde



Synopsis:

What does an unreported crime that occurred decades earlier have to do with a NYC cop? Everything!

Nothing the old scientist told him could possibly be true…or so the decorated New York Cop and former Marine tries to tell himself.

But as the evidence mounts, he faces the terrifying question -- is the Blind Veil lifting?

In a race for his life, he must decide if he is losing his mind or is the world he thought he knew merely an illusion?


Review:

Blind VeilBlind Veil by Michael Lorde
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

Lamont Simms is a fantastic character. He is a New York City cop with a sharp mind and a firm grip on reality. Or has he?
I really liked this character, as he tried to unravel a mystery that went back into his childhood.

This is a fantastic psychological thriller that had my heart pounding, and had me hooked from the first page! There is a really shocking scene at the beginning of the story that was more than a little gruesome, but it brought the characters into sharp focus, especially Emmett, Lamont's Uncle. He is a very strong character, and is the first character we meet. His story is not a happy one, but the author did a wonderful job bringing it to life.
The story then switches to Lamont, and his life as a cop. However, the story takes a dramatic twist into horror, as his life is changed by a demented scientist. Or is he demented? I felt myself being swept away with the tale, and I found myself doubting my own sanity, never mind that of the characters! This book reminded me of several episodes of The X-Files! Are we being visited by aliens, and are we being tricked into thinking they are not here? Or are we not being visited and there is no cover up? Paranoia can run rampant in fictional characters and readers alike! Shivers ran up my spine whilst reading this book, as the author had created a feeling of horror and dread in me that I found difficult to shake even after finishing it. It made me question my own belief in what defines being "sane". Conspiracy theorists would have a field day with this book!

Michael Lorde has written a completely absorbing (and terrifying!) novel that captured my attention, and I am now looking forward to reading more of his work. His attention to detail was fantastic, the story flowed beautifully and was fast paced enough to keep the suspense and intrigue in the "dangerously high" level!

As this book has some violence and some unsettling scenes, I do not recommend this story to younger readers. However, I highly recommend this book if you love horror, suspense or thrillers. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews


           

No comments:

Post a Comment