Saturday, June 22, 2013

Book Review of Control by M.S. Willis

Control (Control, #1)Control by M.S. Willis
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

This is a romance novel with a very dark edge to it. However, I loved it!

Paige Stone is a wonderful character. She is very strong willed and has an independent streak a mile wide. I liked her very much, but there were times I wanted to shake her! I can understand why she shut off her heart. If I had been brought up in a home, run by her parents, for abused women and children as she was, it would make me lose faith in the male of the species too! However, when she meets Daemon, her walls begin to break.

Daemon Pierce is an enigmatic character. I was on the fence about him at the beginning, but as the story unfolded, I think I've fallen for him myself! He is a dangerous character - one I wouldn't want to cross, but his pursuit of Paige had my heart pounding for other reasons besides fear!

I was unsure about reading this book at first, but I was completely hooked from the first page! The characters are extremely lifelike. As I previously said, this is a romance novel, but it has a very dark and real edge to it that took me on an emotional rollercoaster ride. This book is told from Paige's point of view, and there are flashbacks to her childhood and her first love, Buddy. These flashbacks are sometimes sad, sometimes happy. They gave me an insight as to why Paige shut off her heart - she was protecting it from being hurt again. I really felt for the 5 year old Paige, as she loved and lost for the first time. First love really never leaves you.
Paige and Daemon make a fantastic couple, but there are some other fantastic characters in this book too. I loved meeting David, Alex and Annie, Paige's room mates. I laughed at some of the scenes. I found David extremely likable. I loved his sense of humour! It's a bit disappointing that he's already spoken for - his boyfriend would probably laugh at me though!
Annie is a bit of a bubble head when it comes to picking boyfriends, and she sure picks the wrong ones!
Alex is another great character. I actually felt bad for Alex when Paige meets Daemon, but the heart wants what the heart wants!

M.S. Willis has written a fantastic contemporary romance! I am now looking forward to reading the next book, Conflict.

This book contains scenes of abuse and violence, and also scenes of a sexual nature (although not overly explicit or erotic), which I do not recommend for younger readers or those of a sensitive nature. However, I highly recommend this book if you love contemporary romance, older YA or New Adult genres. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment