Friday, February 22, 2013

The Master of WhitehallThe Master of Whitehall by Rick H. Veal
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is an intriguing vampire romance that captured my imagination, and is completely unique to any other stories I have read in the past.

Katelyn Corbin is a fantastic character. She has had to deal with the brutal murder of her parents, and a gut wrenching move to live with her Aunt and Uncle. She is vulnerable, but has an inner strength that she doesn't realise is there, until she meets James Dubois, the Master of Whitehall. I liked her character very much.

Alexis (Lexi) Gordon is Katelyn's new friend at college, and they get on very well. I was going to say like sisters, but these two don't seem to fight like I used to with mine! However, they have a fantastic camaraderie.

James Dubois is a fascinating character. Although he's a vampire, he is a quintessential gentleman. He is intrigued with Katelyn and her situation. He decides to get to know her better by inviting her to his plantation house, Whitehall.

This is a unique vampire romance. I loved the story, and found myself easily picturing the characters and the settings. The only thing that bothered me slightly was the inner monologues when Katelyn and Lexi first meet; I found them a bit gushing! However, once these monologues were finished, I found myself not able to put the book down! Told from Katelyn's, Lexi's and James's point of view, this story swept me away! There are some other characters that are notable: Charlotte Ann, James's maker, and Dale, a rogue vampire that they meet. Each of these characters have their own story to tell, and it was interesting reading their back stories, and finding out their special talents.
As I reached the end of the story, I was struck at how the author had created a family that individually are strong, but together are extremely formidable.

Rick Veal has written a heart warming romance. I would be interested in reading more books by this author. There are some scenes of a sensual nature that are a little on the hot side, so I do not recommend this book for younger readers. I do recommend this book if you love paranormal romances with sexy vampires. - Lynn Worton

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment