Thursday, June 21, 2012

Birthright Book One of the Awakening Trilogy by Christine Butler

Book One of the Awakening Trilogy by Christine Butler

In the middle of the night Caislyn Vadoma auto-sketches a scene in which her parents are kidnapped from the family bookstore. She awakens in the morning to find that her sketch, a rare glimpse into the future, has already become reality.

Jasmine DeLaney leaves her life behind when an abusive boyfriend puts her in the hospital. She becomes Jaxon, an art consultant in a new town, always looking over her shoulder for the danger she knows will catch up to her eventually.

As Caislyn scrambles for clues to her parents' whereabouts, she casts a spell that leads her to Jaxon. From the moment they meet, the girls are emmersed in a world of chaos and secrets. Finding out they are part of a very dangerous prophecy not only has them on the run, but discovering their own hidden pasts as well.

While trying to come to grips with who they are, how they fit into this prophecy, and where Caislyn's parents are the girls must also face the fact that the stalker vampire who appears to be helping them, may just be putting them in more danger.

The trilogy continues with murder, mayhem, sorrow, a corrupt brotherhood, and one hell of a secret/conspiracy that could change the world forever. Caislyn and Jaxon are the powers to either bring this secret into the light or protect it forever!
My review.
I must confess, this story has a ton of potential, potential I hope the rest of the trylogy will showcase.  The potential of the story could however not make up for the fact that I felt overwhelmed by the constant bombarding of new characters, powers etc.  I felt disconnected from the story from the start until the end. 
I felt especially let down with the end of the book.  I understand that it is the first book in a series but it ended with almost no resolution and left me paging to find another page to get some closure.
I give this book a very high 3 * review.  I admire the enthusiasm of the author, and that is apparent from the start.  I also, like stated think the story has potential, but I would have preferred if the story took a bit more time to get the reader to get to know the characters instead of being thrown from one situation into another.  I however, also know that I have loads of reader friends who would love the pace.  It is simply not to my personal taste.
This book is currently free on Amazon, and as per usual I would advise you to go and read it and make up your own mind.
On AMAZON : http://www.amazon.com/Birthrights-The-Awakening-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B004VNQZYM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
On facebook : http://www.facebook.com/M00nlitDreams

No comments:

Post a Comment