Monday, February 13, 2012

Saving Bobby!



Via Goodreads

When Bobby's world came crashing down on his thirteenth birthday he knew his life would never be the same again. After losing most of his family before ever becoming a teenager. Bobby was determined not to lose the only person who had truly loved him and was always there for him; his mom. Struggling with the fear of losing his mother to cancer Bobby takes it upon himself running away in search for a way to save her. Along Bobby's journey, he meets Annie, a 'runaway.' Together, they embark on a road where they both find a friendship that will last forever and the true meaning of God. Will Bobby save his mother in time and will Annie go back to the life she had? Experience this journey with Bobby and Annie and feel the power of true determination, and what God can do if you just let him into your heart....

My Review

Saving Bobby was from start to finish a delightful read!
I love Christian literature as long as I don't get the idea that the author is preaching! 
Never once did I get that impression with this book. as a matter of fact this book has two of the most fundamental values I hold dear in Christian literature and life. First of all I do not believe that saying you are a Christian makes you a Christian, I believe that living a good Christian life is what makes one a true Christian. Saving Bobby was a story of finding and living a Christian life. I loved Bobby for portraying that so beautifully.  The second value I hold dear is that I personally do not believe Christians should remove themselves from the so called secular life.
In this respect Saving Bobby did not disappoint either.

I found the writing beautiful and simple, but never patronising. I don't believe that this book can nor should have, a target age audience. I honestly feel that any person will, regardless of age, love this story. I cried through large chunks of this book and believe you me, that takes some doing!  I loved the story!  The book is set against lessons that Bobby learns at school regarding JFK and his life. Bobby is a typical boy who loves academia as well as sports, reads and enjoys movies etc. Bobby, I believe could be any readers son, brother, nephew,or neighbour. I love how respectfully though forthright he communicates with his elders in this book.
I love Saving Bobby and if you find my use of the present tense strange, don't, I will read Saving Bobby again and again. It is an enriching story that I would advise all to experience with me.

I give this book a seven out of five star review. I loved it, could not put it down, recommended it to friends and I am planning on buying it for family members. I loved it that much!

Crystal Cattabriga currently has a competition running where people need to send in the very last sentence in the book Saving Bobby, perhaps this is why I remember the sentence so well, but I doubt it.  My first thought as I read it was that this is such a beautiful way of saying we are saved through Grace.  My second thought is that this reminds me somewhat of the second call to prayer the Iqamah used in the Muslim faith, especially after the first call to prayer is whispered by an Iman into an infants right ear known as the Adhan.  The Iqamah is then whispered into the left ear, promising that if you keep the faith, salvation will be yours. 

Interview with author
My Question:
I loved the grounding effect of the bits of history pertaining to JFK. Why him?
Crystals answer:
I've always had a passion and love for JFK. Actually to tell the truth, I love anything to do with the Kennedy family. As a little girl I would spend most of my free time at my local library reading for hours, and when I left, I would always check out a Kennedy book. Then I would quickly run 3 blocks home just to lay at the end of my bed reading until either my eyes closed or I finished the book.
 My Question:
Bobby is from the get go a very real and balanced little boy. Is he fashioned upon a boy you know?
Crystals answer:
The character Bobby was inspired by my own son Blayke. Without giving anything away, let's just say that some of Bobby's traits and my son's are meshed together in this book which made Bobby that much more real and truthful.
 My Question:
What specifically motivated you to write Saving Bobby?
Crystals answer:
Saving Bobby was born one night while standing in my bedroom talking to my husband. When ever I have an idea for a book, character or plot I bounce my ideas off my husband. That night I decided that I wanted to write books that would inspire and leave a sense of hope in someone's heart. So, it was at that moment Bobby was created and the rest fell into place that night.
 My Question:
Tell us something about you we might not know?
Crystals answer:
Well, what you might not know about me is this, I was born on April Fool's Day, I have three middle names (Vera, Rose, Louise) I'm a lefty, and when I was two years old a team of doctor's saved my life after having Open Heart Surgery. And there isn't a day in my life that I'm not grateful so, I always try to pay if forward to others and empower people with my writing.
 My Question:
I love the fact that Bobby's uncle is a decorated serving army officer. Is the plight of American soldiers something close to your heart?
Crystals answer:
Now for Bobby's Uncle Johnny, that's simple, he's one of my husband's childhood friend's who lived across the street from my husband while growing up.And other years has been part of our lives.His name is Johnny Maynard and has served our country for over 20 years with Honor, serving in both Iraq, and Afganistan. He had received over 14 metals. His picture can be seen on my webpage.
 Crystal shares -
The words I leave to my readers is this, I'm a true believer in my faith and I'm trying to make everyday count for something great in the world.

Thank you, Wanda for the opportunity and sharing my story with others....
http://www.facebook.com/ccattabriga  find her here on Facebook and drop us a line stating what you thought of the review and the author interview and especially about Saving Bobby the book!

2 comments:

  1. Wanda & Crystal, I loved this interview!!! Thx so much for sharing this with me or us. *angel hugz n luvz* to you both <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you to Anne. Thanks for liking the interview!

    ReplyDelete